Wednesday, January 21, 2009

...Eyes Like Smouldering Flames...

Sorry about the comicless day yesterday, folks. Tuesdays generally suck for me; I lecture for seven hours and don't finish the last class until 9:30 p.m. My night students were laughing at me yesterday because I had to stop every five minutes and take a drink of water; if I hadn't, my voice would have been entirely gone by the end of the three-hour session. There may be a few comicless Tuesdays this term.

However, I couldn't blow off today's comic as well because it provided such a good portrait of how the Antichrist--better known as Marmaduke the Devil Dog--might operate as he led the world towards fiery ruin. Notice how the hell-beast's "owners" cringe from him in horror as he emits the bizarre sound "whoof!" The extra "h" tells us that Marmaduke's every utterance is unnatural, bloated with unnecessary letters. He keeps his slaves in thrall and torments them with fiendish visitors from the most hideous regions of Hell. They know that if they disobey, he will devour them...and keep on devouring them for eternity. There is no winning when you live with the Antichrist.*





*Especially when you have to fill his food bowl every single day.

7 comments:

The Prettiest said...

Again I learn fun new etymology! I see inkling underwent the exact oposite change of the one nickname took. Ah, liaison(-like pronunciation quirks*), where would we be without you.





* I don't know the actual word for running a vowel into a consonant that would have been pronounced anyway

Brian said...

"elision", maybe?

dmontag said...

Kem, busy times again?

We miss you!

Angry Kem said...

Yes, it's "elision." And yes, I've gone all busy again, though I promise I'll try to get back into the posting habit soon. I think my life must be depressing me. I have no motivation to do anything, even though I have way too many things to do.

I would also like to note that it is not possible to keep track of 200 students in four different classes. It simply can't be done. And why do three of my classes have no problem with the speed of my lectures, while the fourth is full of people who claim that I must be doing something wrong (even though I have slowed down considerably and repeat everything I say at least three times)?

Sorry...needed to vent randomly on the Internet.

xy said...

haven't you heard? 25% of all people are retarded. i think that might be solve your class-lecture-speed problem.



wait, no it doesn't. oh well, i tried.

dmontag said...

Kem, would it help if we suggested comics for you to check out?

Angry Kem said...

dmontag: Nah. It's not checking out the comics that's the problem; it's finding the time to translate them and write the commentary. Thanks for the offer, though.

I promise I'll return. I may even be able to manage something tonight; tomorrow, I'm showing a film in class, so I've got nothing to prepare. (I do have to mark two presentations.)